Three dead, two critically injured in crash on Princes Highway

Three dead, two critically injured in crash on Princes Highway

Three people have died and two are in a critical condition after a crash on the Princes Highway south of Sussex Inlet.
南京夜网

Emergency services were called to the scene 400 metres north of the Bendalong Road turn-off about 10.45am to reports of a head-on collision between two cars, an ambulance spokesman said. One of the cars was towing a caravan.

One of the vehicles burst into flames and three people from two separate cars died.

Paramedics treated two women for multiple serious injuries including possible head injuries, the ambulance spokesman said.

One woman was airlifted to Liverpool Hospital, and the second woman was airlifted to St George Hospital. Both were in a critical condition, police said.

Police closed all lanes of the Princes Highway but had reopened one lane at Bendalong by about 2.30pm.

On Tuesday evening all lanes at Bendalong had reopened, though traffic remains heavy with a southbound queue of about seven kilometres and northbound queue of about six kilometres.

Motorists are advised to allow plenty of extra travel time.

Police warned motorists the highway will remain partially closed for several hours, and urged them to use an alternative route or delay their travels to avoid the area.

Diversions are in place with motorists heading north requested to use the Kings Highway and Braidwood-Nowra Road and southbound traffic to take the Braidwood-Nowra Road and then Kings Highway.

Motorists can expect delays of two hours. Holiday road death toll double last year’s

The triple fatality comes after a horror holiday period on NSW roads.

There were 13 deaths by the end of Christmas Day, and another four by midday on Boxing Day alone, taking the holiday road toll to 17. In the same period last year, there were seven fatalities.

The Operation Safe Arrival road safety campaign runs from Friday December 15 to midnight on Monday January 1.

Now in its 12th day, Assistant Commissioner Michael Corboy, Commander of the Traffic and Highway Patrol Command said the death toll was “appalling”.

“That is more than one person a day which is quite alarming. It is just not good enough,” he said.

“NSW residents need to take some responsibility and realise that all it takes is one distraction and you could lose your life or kill a family travelling on the roads this holiday period.

“It is a time to be merry and enjoy spending time with your family and unfortunately day after day, police are left to pick up the pieces and deliver horrific messages to families.” BENDALONG: Princes Hwy remains closed near Bendalong Rd due to a fatal crash. A lengthy detour is in place and traffic’s very heavy approaching the crash site. pic.twitter南京夜网/IEHmne6odo??? Live Traffic NSW (@LiveTrafficNSW) December 26, 2017This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.